Search the Blog

Custom Search

Saturday, January 3, 2009

The Importance of Water

Drink more water.

Every day, I drink 2-4 liters (70-140 oz) of pure H2O, and I'm always on the look-out for early signs of dehydration:
  • A dry or sticky mouth
  • Headache, dizziness or lightheadedness
  • Sleepiness, tiredness or lack of focus
  • Muscle weakness or fatigue
  • Decreased performance levels
I also use the "pee test" to check fluid levels: When my urine is clear, I know I'm well hydrated; if my urine is yellow, I need to drink more.

Many times, dehydration can confused with hunger. If I feel hungry, I first drink a glass of water. If I still feel hunger a few minutes later, I know my body truly needs nutrients and not just fluids.

Because I drink so much water during the day, I invested in a large water bottle from Platypus. Its soft-shell design means it takes up less space as I empty it.

But any bottle will do: Having water close by means you are more likely to drink, and drink often.

If you're not use to drinking large amounts of water, start slow and allow your body to adjust to the new fluid levels. You'll be surprised at the daily performance boost being well hydrated can offer.

No comments: