Search the Blog

Custom Search

Friday, January 23, 2009

Knee Rehab Update

I injured my left knee (MCL sprain, I believe) three weeks ago on Dec 23 and have been slowly healing ever since. Training around the injury has been difficult, but I'm now very close to full and pain-free range of motion. The injury put on hold my training program for the powerlifting meet on March 1, and I don't feel confident attempting a max lift so soon after a major injury like this one. Therefore I will not be competing in the upcoming 100% Raw Powerlifting competition this season. I feel like I'm copping-out, but I'd rather be viewed as a wuss than re-injure my knee and possibly do permanent damage.

I am going to hold off doing heaving lifting for a while longer and allow my body to recover completely. In the mean time, I thought I would focus on hypertrophy and physique. It has been years since I've done a bodybuilding-style program and thought it might be time to revisit that style of training.

I plan on doing an upper-body/lower-body split, training each muscle group twice per week, using light cardio and other Energy System Work to control body fat.

This will be a great experiment. I look forward to the results.

No comments: