Search the Blog

Custom Search

Friday, March 6, 2009

The Psychological Impact of Physical Training

Via Back To Form Fitness:
The message is clear…I need to start counseling all of my clients now. I need to prepare every one of them for what is to come next. I need to prepare them for the financial burden of buying new, smaller clothing, while preparing them mentally for the new confidence and attitude they will have. They need to be ready for the looks they will get, and for the energy, they will have. These people need to be emotionally set before all of this takes place. I hope I learned my lesson from client “A” and client “B” well. I hope I will be a better trainer and make sure that all of my clients are ready for the world once I am done with them. I hope that it’s not too late to save those two and get them the support they need.

Three years ago I lost a little over 90 pounds in weight and went through a drastic body transformation. Even after changing the way I looked, I remained unsure of myself both socially and emotionally. Only recently has my mind caught up, allowing me to enjoy all the hard work I've done over the last 1,000 days.

As trainers we are so focused on the physical changes in our clients we sometimes forget to assist with the emotional and psychological changes that also must take place. Perhaps Keith Scott wrote his post with a slight sarcastic edge, but I believe his point is valid and should not be neglected.

And, considering how powerful the mind can be in maintaining lifestyle changes, perhaps the Psychology of Fitness should be the first steps we take with new clients: How will the physical changes they undergo effect their long-term well being? Are they prepared for those changes? And how will they react to the possibility of failure?

No comments: