Search the Blog

Custom Search

Wednesday, November 12, 2008

World's Strongest Geezer

Via MarkFu’s Barbarian Blog:

Bill Kazmaier, former World's Strongest Man, laments on getting old and how it affects his training.

Bill is 54.

I'm less than half his age and already I'm starting to see a major difference in my training from 2–3 years ago; I can't make the same stupid training decisions I did back in sophomore year of college without paying for it later in the week.

That said, I'm also a lot smarter than I was back than and am training much more efficiently and effectively than I have in the past.

There is a saying about aging martial artists:
What an older fighter lacks in speed, he makes up for in efficiency.

There is another saying about aging actors:
What an older actor lacks in raw energy, he makes up for in stamina.

As we get older, our abilities evolve. It is our duty as athletes to exploit our strengths (at any age) and find a goal to strive for, and compete with others to the best of our abilities.

This fact gives me hope for my future as an athlete and a strength coach.

Original post here.

1 comment:

Markfu said...

You have to train smarter and rest more. I find I am stronger than 20 years ago, but then again, I wasn't doing the things I am now doing. If I was, my PRs would be all higher. Woulda, coulda, shoulda, I suppose, but at 53, I can lift heavier and train with more intensity than younger guys; I just can't do it every day!