Search the Blog

Custom Search

Tuesday, May 5, 2009

Getting Serious About Grip Strength

My grip sucks. There, I said it.

To combat this problem I have instituted grip training days into my weekly routine. My new grip program is performed on the same day as my neck and core training. Thank you Jedd Johnson for the inspiration.


DAY 1
General Warmup = 10 min

Ball Toss
= 3kg x 12
Ball Toss w/ Spin = 3kg x 8

Vertical Lever to the Nose = 9# x10 x8 x4 x4 x4 + negatives to failure
Horizontal Lever to the Front = 9# x10 x8 x4 x4 x4 + negatives to failure

1-Finger Lift
= 55# x1 x1 x1 x1

DAY 2
General Warmup = 10 min

Ball Toss = 3kg x 12
Ball Toss w/ Spin = 3kg x 8

Hammer Twist = 9# x10 x8 x4 x4 x4 + negatives to failure
Hammer Rotations = 9# x10 x8 x4 x4 x4 + negatives to failure

1-Finger Lift = 55# x1 x1 x1 x1



I feel this program is incomplete and I would like to add plate pinching and gripper work (preferably Captains of Crush).

My girlfriend enjoys rock climbing so I've been training on the rock wall at my gym once a week in addition to the program above. I find the rock wall not only great for grip, but also a great full body conditioning workout.

If you have suggestions for improving my grip routine, please leave a comment below.

No comments: